A Filcro Media Staffing Director Broadcast Engineering executive search for review
Major TV Network | Broadcast Operations and Engineering Technology (BO&E)
Director Global Distribution
Network Operations and Engineering Technology
Based New York City, NY - USA
Search Firm Filcro Media Staffing
Officer in Charge Tony Filson
Search Group Technology and Engineering
Search Director Global Distribution
Reporting to Vice President Network Operations & Engineering
The Client Company
CBS is a diversified U.S. based global media and entertainment conglomerate with major television network, sports, news, cable TV, radio, motion picture, publishing, outdoor advertising, entertainment and media holdings. The firm operates media businesses globally and this search was relevant to all domestic and international distribution of their broadcast signals on multiple media platforms for their businesses.
The Vice President of Network Operations and Engineering had been searching for a Director with exceptional IT skills for over six months through other resources and was unable to identify a candidate that met all the technology criterion required for the Network's future plans for global distribution to stations, affiliates, MSO, SAT and digital partners for US | MENA | ASIA | LATAM | EU
Filcro Media Staffing had conducted previous searches for CBS for Managers and Directors of technology and engineering in the past. Tony Filson made the Network aware of an opportunity at a competitor that could be to the Network's advantage. Working on multiple domestic and international engineering and information technology searches simultaneously enabled Filcro Media Staffing to bring this search to fruition quickly.
Industry and Sector inclusion
- International Network Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- International Cable Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- International MSO Distribution - Engineering and IT
- International Radio Network Distribution - Engineering and IT
- International Satellite Network Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- Specific News and Sports organizations with terrestrial distribution
The Filcro Media Staffing Requirement
The Filcro Media Staffing Officer in Charge of Search - Tony Filson (TF) identified, recruited and attracted the candidates to meet the following criterion:
- Design, implement, and manage transmission plans for television events, complex sports and programming worldwide and guide IT project management for implementation.
- Supervise the installation of complex systems and software for remote broadcast and telecommunications facilities
- Evaluate the most cost effective, reliable, and appropriate method of transmission routes and services operating in a zero tolerance-for-defects environment.
- Hire, train, and manage IT and engineering technical personnel and transmission service providers.
- Generate detailed budgets and quotes and approve and monitor spends to ensure financial goals
- Execute technology-driven project management responsibilities for implementation and operations guidance
- Coordinate the digital and Ultra-High-Definition conversion of remote satellite backhaul and fiber optic transmissions; including cost analysis, vendor selection, equipment procurement, and integration.
- Manage fiber network connectivity between the Network, studio, and broadcast origination facilities.
- Work internal departments on installation, activation and maintenance of new and existing circuits.
- Manage Disaster Recovery plan fiber infrastructure.
- Manage the annual budget process for the operating, staff travel, IT, expense, and capital budget lines for the Transmission and Broadcast Operations departments. Track and report variances.
- Create, compile, organize, analyze key technical data and operational trends.
- Provide business analysis, reports, and recommendations to improve business and operational efficiency.
- Assist with long term strategic planning and new technologies research, traffic and facilities scheduling, vendor negotiations, and staff training. Maintain long-term contracts database.
- Provide information and analysis in response to technical inquiries for the global fleet of satellites.
Challenges facing the new (BO&E) Broadcasting Operations Director
- Locating resources internal and external to the organization and getting them to work in a cooperative manner, on time and on budget
- FCC Reporting
- Negotiating competitive business terms with IT vendors and clients
- Reviewing current operating expense statements, analyzing costs and developing new financial structures for technology
- Maintaining the accuracy of the delivery inventory and resources across multiple media platforms.
- Negotiating lease cancellations, subleases and contracts for idle delivery assets to be leveraged toward future delivery needs.
- Change Management
- Advanced (IT) technology implementation that integrates all platforms globally
- New CODEC adaptation and development across multiple platforms
- A global understanding of broadcast operations and engineering distribution that were in line with 24/7 International News, Sports and Entertainment for US, MENA, LATAM, EU and ASIA markets.
The Filcro Media Staffing Recruitment Solution
Filcro Media Staffing recruited a "best in the industry" broadcast operations and engineering executive who had worked in an advanced technology Network distribution environment for one of the Network’s closest competitors.
Filcro Media Staffing completed the search well ahead of the projected date set by the VP. Based on the firm’s recruitment expertise in broadcast engineering every technical consideration was covered strategically and tactically down to the nuance of satellite launch schedules and CODEC development for NOC affiliate distribution.
Tony Filson assured that if it was opening a cabinet and checking a BNC connection or representing the Network to the global broadcasting community, that this Director would meet every current and future need of a leading global broadcaster known for advanced technology and broadcast excellence.
The executive made a smooth transition to the Network and has proven to be a valuable asset in the global distribution and advanced technology surrounding the organization's highly respected broadcast operations and engineering divisions.
Broadcasting Executive Search
Filcro Media Staffing Media Technology Search